For Immediate Release: March 1, 2021
KANSAS CITY, MO – BioNexus KC, a catalyst for innovation in animal and human health, kicks off a year-long celebration of its 20th anniversary.
For the past two decades, BioNexus KC has united the life sciences community and elevated the impact of research through collaboration, innovation, commercialization, and workforce development. BioNexus KC has played a key role in many successful, collaborative initiatives including:
- Formation of the Animal Health Corridor and the Kansas City Quality Value and Innovation Consortium
- Recruitment of the National Bio and Agro-Defense Facility and the National Cancer Institute designation at the University of Kansas Cancer Center
- Coordination of the regional life sciences workforce development efforts in partnership with KC Rising and the Kaufman Foundation
- Funding regional innovation through the formation of the KC Nexus Fund and the research grants program, which provided an 11:1 return to the region in follow-on funding
- Conducting the tri-annual life sciences census to catalog regional companies working in life sciences, healthcare, research and development, and medical devices
- Hosting regional events to facilitate collaboration and innovation among researchers, clinicians, and industry professionals
This work fits well into the long-term growth strategy for the KC region. “Twenty years is an incredible achievement and BioNexus KC is proud of all that has been accomplished during that time. We are even more excited about what is next,” Dennis Ridenour, President and CEO of BioNexus KC said. “We are using life sciences innovation and collaboration to address some of the biggest challenges, ensuring a healthier and more prosperous future for all.”
How it all started
In 1999, the Civic Council of Greater Kansas City and the Kansas City Area Development Council combined in an initiative to evaluate the life sciences assets. The organizations carried out their mission to leverage the talent and strength among the KC regional institutions and form a hub for life sciences research and development. Originally supported by 8 stakeholder institutions and 2 employees, BioNexus KC launched operations on March 1, 2001. Today, BioNexus KC is supported by 10 stakeholder institutions and 5 employees.
About BioNexus KC:
BioNexus KC believes we can do more to care for people and animals. We inspire thinkers from different disciplines to combine their efforts for a common purpose — healthcare innovation. From bioinformatics to cancer research and beyond, our goal is to stimulate collaboration and advance emerging technologies from concept to reality. The KC region is a global leader at the nexus of human and animal health benefiting all our citizens and the economy.
BioNexus KC creates opportunities at the nexus of:
- Human and Animal Health
- Academia and Industry
- Kansas and Missouri
BioNexus KC – Marketing & Communications Manager